Member Login

Club History


The Golf Club of Glen Ridge was founded by 14 charter members at the residence of Mr. John W. Stewart, 335 Ridgewood Avenue, on October 10, 1894. They set initiation fees at $1.00 and annual dues at $3.00. The Club was one of the first forty golf clubs in the United States and is believed to be the fourth in New Jersey.

The Club's original clubhouse consisted of part of the gardener's house on the George Innes, Jr. estate on Bay Avenue, while the Club's first nine-hole course extended on both sides of Ridgewood Avenue between Bay Avenue & Baldwin Street.


The Club was incorporated as the Country Club of Glen Ridge on April 25, 1911 as a stock company. On this date, the Clubhouse opened in the present location in order to put 18 holes together on land where owners did not prohibit Sunday play.

In 1917 during World War I, the Club responded to a plea from President Woodrow Wilson to cultivate several acres of land near the golf course for food production. The clubhouse was also used to house servicemen from the U.S. Naval Range who were recuperating from the flu.

In 1918, a Scotsman by the name of Willie Park Jr. designed the new 18 holes. He was well respected as a superior golfer and one of the first pioneers of golf course architecture.


On January 22, 1920, the Club was incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation called Glen Ridge Country Club.

Shortly after, as a result of the stock market crash of 1929, the officers of the Club reduced dues, created special categories of membership and sent letters to the community in order to keep the Club alive.


The first Allison Dodd Invitational was held in September of 1936. The Member-Guest golf tournament is still the most prestigious annual event at the Club.


The membership drive of 1940 brought in 126 new members and the Club reorganized under the National Bankruptcy Act.

As of January 1941, the Club was restored to its members, operating profitably.


The GRCC pool opened in June 1956 after raising $160,000 for its construction. However, obtaining the cooperation of neighbors and town officials proved more challenging than fundraising. According to a 1959 issue of Suburban Life, "The Mayor of Glen Ridge, who lived next door, and other VIPs who lived nearby were sure that Ridgewood Avenue would turn into Coney Island”.


On November 8, 2015, the Club broke ground on the Master Plan Transformation – a $13 million full-campus renovation that resulted in a brand new golf and tennis pro shop building, a completely remodeled clubhouse, and an expanded and updated fitness center.

After nearly a year and a half of renovations, the Club fully reopened to Members in the spring of 2017 – and came back better than ever, earning the title of NJPGA Club of the Year that same year.


On May 18, 2024, the Club celebrated it's 130th anniversary with a cocktail party and member appreciation event. It was an unforgettable evening that celebrated the Club's history, membership, and future.